Business interruption coverage is intended to protect a business from financial losses as a result of a covered event. Policyholders have very broad and important expectations regarding such coverage.
Our Insurance team has provided the following links to the multiple suits that have been filed in seven jurisdictions, including Texas, as a result of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). In addition, please click here for a list of Texas Shutdown Orders, which we will be updating periodically as county orders change.
- Oceana Grill v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's London, et.al. (03.16.2020, Louisiana Parish of Orleans)
- Chickasaw Nation Dept. of Commerce v. Lexington Ins. Co., et al. (03.24.2020, Pontotoc County Oklahoma)
- Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma v. Lexington Ins. Co., et al. (03.24.2020, Bryan County Oklahoma)
- French Laundry Partners, LP, et al. v. Hartford Fire Ins. Co., et al. (03.25.2020, California Superior Court Napa County)
- Barbara Lane Snowden d/b/a Hair Goals Club v. Twin City Fire Ins. Co. (03.26.2020, 113th District Court Harris County)
- Big Onion Tavern Group, et al. v. Society Insurance, Inc. (03.27.2020, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois)
- Billy Goat Tavern v. Society Ins. (03.31.2020, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois)
- Prime Time Sports Grill d/b/a Prime Time Sports Bar v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s London (04.02.2020, United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida Tampa Division)
- Indiana Repertory Theatre v. The Cincinnati Casualty Co. (04.03.2020, Marion Superior Court of Indiana)
- SCGM, Inc. d/b/a Star Cinema Grill, et al. v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s (04.03.2020, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas)
- Mace Marine, Inc. d/b/a Conch Republic Divers v. Tokio Marine Specialty Ins. Co. (04.06.2020, Circuit Court Monroe City, Florida)
- El Noilla Restaurant d/b/a DJJ Restaurant, et al. v. Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s London, et al. (04.09.2020, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida)
- Lombardi's Inc., et al. v. Indemnity Insurance Company of North America (04.16.2020, 14th District Court Dallas County)
- Christie Jo Berkseth-Rojas DDS v. Aspen American Insurance Company (04.17.2020, United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas)
Click here to view our full Insurance Toolkit on our COVID-19 Business Response Team page.